2007年3月21日水曜日

Things I do not miss about my country

It's very difficult to say about things I do not miss about my country. I miss a lot of things about my country. But even so, I know some bad things in Japan. I found a lot of bad and good things about Japan since I came to the Unites States.
First of all, I think Japan is very unsociable country because Japan is a island country. And also people in Japan are unsociable. Most of them are very scared of talking with a stranger. Especially when they have to use English like languages which isn't Japanese, they suddenly stop talking. It's not because they can't speak English. Of cause, they can't speak English as same way as native speakers. However, they ought to know at least some words. When my friend came here, I took her to a restaurant. I told her to order by herself because she came all the way over here. I thought she should try to speak English at least a little. I taught her how can we order in English. But she adamantly said "I can't, I cannot". I don't know why she wouldn't try. I guess she is afraid of making a mistake or something.
They don't want to get involved in strangers. I heard they don't even want to sit just next to a person in train and bus. I don't like the thing of that sort in Japan. That's why I like the greeting here. People in here always exchange greetings with a person who meet at the first time. That is very comfortable for me.
Secondly, I also don't like Japanese education. It seems that we don't have many choices for subjects. Of cause, we do have a few choices but it's not enough at all. When I was a high school student, we had to choose chemistry or biology. I prefer chemistry so I wanted to learn it. However, very few people chose chemistry. At the result, we couldn't have a choice to learn chemistry. All of us have to learn biology. My teacher told me that when we take a exam for entering university, it is going to be easier to take biology tests than taking chemistry tests. I didn't want to learn something for just going to university.
Our English education is also just for going to university. We learn English at least for six years. However, most of us are very afraid of speaking English and they always say "I can't speak English". We just focus on grammar in English class. We really don't have any chances for speaking English. In general, we can't say that people who do well in English class can speak English well. I think we should need some changes for that.
Every countries have both good things and bad things. It's very natural but we should know both of them. After that we also need to learn from other countries and try to change to good way.

0 件のコメント: